25 May 2013

2013 Anniversary Meet with Needles 'N Crafts - Fabric House Challenge, Gift Exchange and Goodie Bag - Part One

One of the things that I love about the Yahoo! group Needles 'N Crafts is the exchange part of the group, and the exchanges are also my excuse for not blogging very often!
 
This year's Anniversary Meet Exchange was no exception.  It definitely kept me busy for several months.  Not just the stitching and sewing part, but pondering what to make, how to make it, and then the finishing after the stitching is done.
 
You see, MW gives us a challenge project each year, based on a 'theme'.  Now, while it seems that this should be an easy challenge, well... it is just that... a challenge!  One year the theme was hearts, another year... birds.  This year's theme was 'house'.  It had to be three dimensional, made out of fabric, not so tiny as to be the size of a thimble, but not so big as to be an actual house that you could move into (there is shipping to be considered, after all).
 
And there is also the Gift Exchange, a handmade item given to whoever's name is drawn to receive your gift.  That person also receives the challenge project made by you...
 
So, I pondered for a while, I searched online for a few weeks, questioned my choices several times, and finally started the stitching.

For the Gift Exchange, I found this pattern online, for free:

 

I decided to make a fabric book cover, using an online tutorial that I'd found during my search, and this is the result:
 
 
For my Fabric House Challenge project, I decided on this tutorial:
 
 
and this is the result:
 

 
 
Vivian received my Gift Exchange and Fabric House Challenge project this year, and I've been told that her 3-year-old daughter has taken ownership of the house!  She even carried it, very carefully, all the way home after the Meet.  Too cute!
 
Another part of the Anniversary Meet is the Goodie Bag!  I LOVE to contribute to this, because I get so many interesting items in return!!  The creativity of this group spills over into the Goodie Bag.  One of the requirements for receiving the Goodie Bag is that you must contribute enough items to be put into ALL the Goodie Bags, so that each member receives something in their bag.
 
In keeping with the house theme, I decided on a house measuring tape, a pattern from Patchwork Pottery:
 
 
I assembled the house halves:
 
 
and made up kits for everyone to finish up.  I did not include instructions, as this would have violated the copyrights of Patchwork Pottery.  Instead, MW gave a quick class at the Meet on how to finish them, and everyone had to take their own notes.
 
Nik embroidered 'NNC 6th Anniversary' on the back half of the house.  Thank you Nik!  And MW put in the tape measures (saved a teensy bit on the shipping...) and batting.  Thank you MW!
 
I've yet to complete my house tape measure, but several of the members have finished theirs.  You can see one of them here.
 
Well, thanks for dropping by, and I should have Part Two up later today, hopefully...
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment